Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A fair point

My mom approached me today about JP's painted toenails (currently lime green). She's worried that other children will make fun of him, call him a girl, etc. She's got a point and I've worry about that, too. Father's of other children in the neighborhood raise their eyebrows and ask, "How does Mr. Tonks feel about that?" when they see his toes. My answer, "Mr. Tonks knows better than to inflict patriarchal values on our children." Or, "Why did you paint his toes?" My answer, "Was I supposed to tell him no just because he has a penis?" Unfortunately, at 4 1/2, JP can't play the patriarchy card very well and even if he could, chances are the kids teasing him wouldn't know what it meant anyway.

I'm not about to let a patriarchal society influence the way I raise my kids but, still, what's a mom to do?