Sunday, April 22, 2007

Gross day

Yucky thing #1
This morning the kids were outside playing and JP found a snake. He was playing with a huge, heavy pipe* on a pile of rocks at the back of our yard and when the Garter snake slithered out, JP got excited and dropped the aforementioned pipe. Right on the poor snake's head. Unfortunately, the pipe crushed the snake's skull but didn't entirely kill it. Mr. Tonks got the shovel and finished the poor guy off. I used the same shovel to dig a hole and carry the snake to his final resting place**. A brick is on top of the snake's grave and JP has been given extremely specific instructions not to dig it up.

Yucky thing #2
This afternoon, while my in-laws were over, I caught the dog outside with something in her mouth and looking particularly pleased with herself. Zoie has a tendency to eat sticks (she has pica so she'll actually eat just about anything) and that's what I expected to find- a half-eaten stick. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out what we presume to be the lower jaw bone of a cat. Any bets on what skeletal remain we find next?


*Our house was built in the 1940's and, for reasons I don't understand, there are two huge pipes (each around eight-feet long) in our yard and other smaller pipes buried in the ground behind our fence row. We'd throw it away but the trash guys won't take anything over four-feet long and we don't own a tool that will cut through 1/4" thick galvanized pipe.

**While carrying the snake to his grave, JP requested to hold it. I said no (it was fairly bloody). Then he said, "How 'bout I just hold its little head? I'll be gentle."