Monday, April 30, 2007

Pica

Does anybody out there know anything about Pica in dogs? I am in need of some advice, firsthand if possible.

Zoie has always been one to eat things she shouldn't but in the last few months she'd gotten better about it (attempt at eating the ant bait excluded). It seems, though, that the Pica is back with a vengeance. Other than eating through a plastic bag, she's resumed her habit of eating sticks, squirrel/ rabbit poo, dirty tissues (which she gets off the bed stand in the middle of the night) and God only knows what else. Less than an hour ago I caught her up to her eyeballs eating dirt out of one of my potted plants. She was gorging herself like it was prime rib.

I love Zoie, I do, but this has got to stop. Apart from being completely vile, it's also dangerous (what if a stick gets lodged in her throat?) and more of a headache than I can manage.

Help, bloggers!