Saturday, April 21, 2007

My sweet boy

I was listening to an NPR story about Darfur this afternoon. A soundbite of President Bush issuing empty threats to the Sudanese government left me feeling enraged. "What are you going to do?" I shouted at the radio, temporarily forgetting that JP was tagging along during my Target run. He asked why I was shouting and who was I shouting at. I explained to him that I was frustrated, that our president wasn't very good and that there are people in Africa who need our help but the president wasn't doing anything for them. He became quiet and I could tell that the wheels in his head were turning. Suddenly his eyes brightened and he said happily, "I have an idea! I know what could help the people in Africa! Superman! I bet if we asked him he'd swoop right in and help all those people." I didn't have the heart to squelch his triumph so I just said, "I think you're right buddy."

Sad, isn't it, when a four-year old's plan to end the genocide seems more attainable (and more likely to happen) than the hollow rhetoric of this administration.