Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Not in my house

Yesterday JP said something that didn't sit well with me. I can't remember what, exactly, but it was a derogatory statement about girls. I asked him if he realized that Mommy was a girl and would he like it if someone talked that way about me? He responded with quiet but dismissive, "no."

Hmm...what's a mom to do when trying to teach her 4-year old how not to be a misogynistic twit? Well, this mom uses slightly empty* threats.

I told him that if he continues to put girls down because they're girls he's going to learn what it's like to be a girl. I'm going to make him wear a dress to school.

It must've had at least some effect because today, while chatting with a neighbor, I asked JP what will happen if he's not kind to the girls at school. His response: "Mom's gonna make me wear one of Lindsey's [my friend's daughter] dresses."


*I realize that this gender bias bullshit is because of his age. He's starting to see differences between boys and girls, is learning how to play with more than one friend, etc. Will I really make him wear a dress to school...probably not. Unless he gets really bad. Then I absolutely will.