Saturday, January 6, 2007

And you're here why?

Blame A White Bear.

Twice a year I get to see this fabulous woman and I always leave our encounters invigorated. "You should have a Mommy blog," she told me this evening. Here it is, nearly 1 a.m., and I'm starting my Mommy Blog.

Wait! Wait! Wait!

Ugh, a Mommy Blog: spit-up, diapers, mini-vans. Boring.

Not this Mommy.

I am learning, now that my oldest is in preschool, that I am not a typical suburban mommy. I'm a feminist. I'm a liberal. I'm outspoken. I refuse to dress my children in ultra chic and expensive* clothes, I can't be bothered to participate in the mommy rat race and I find "keeping up with the Jones'" (an all-too-prevalent event in the mommy rat race) to be ridiculous.

Part of the reason why I relish my time with A White Bear is because she's not a mom. We talk about politics, religion, women's rights, school...and it is entirely refreshing. I'm hoping to recreate, to some extent, that environment here.

So, welcome, let's get Into the Thick of It.

*Okay, I admit that occasionally I'll spend an obscene amount of money (in my world that's in the $50 range) on something disgustingly cute for the kiddos. Usually it's a birthday splurge or for a special occasion.