Tuesday, January 23, 2007

She won't remember this, right?

As previously mentioned, my chances for being awarded Mother of the Year were pretty slim. Until today. I effectively knocked myself out of the running...and damn near knocked SG out in the process.

On Tuesdays JP is in preschool all day so SG and I usually come home and play, cuddle and enjoy some uninterrupted time together. Today we were on the floor playing and I was picking her up by her hips and sort of swinging her around. I was making goofy faces and weird noises and SG was laughing hysterically.

As the old saying goes, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

SG thought her mama was terribly funny. So funny, in fact, that she felt the need to throw her head back and laugh.

I dropped her and she hit the floor* horribly hard. I apologized like crazy, feeling like a terrible mother and wising I'd never started that game. She was fine (it hurt and there were lots of tears but no lasting damage). I retrieved all her comfort objects (blanket, pacifier and bear) and she snuggled up and took her nap on my chest.

Later, we were at my parents' and my mom was playing with SG's hair when SG said, "Ouch" and rubbed the spot that had been bonked a few hours earlier. "Does your head hurt," asked The Grandma. "What happened?" SG looked my mother square in the eye and said, "Mama dropped."

The upside is I now know her brain wasn't completely addled. My concern now is that she'll remember this incident forever.

*The floor in the living room is hardwood covered by a rug. It's a wonder the poor baby didn't bounce a little.