Sunday, February 11, 2007

Faith

Today's Non Sequitur struck a chord with me.

It's been awhile, a long while, since I've been to a church to worship. The longer I stay away, the less I want to go. It's not that I don't have faith, that I don't believe or even that I don't want to. I just haven't found a place that delivers a message I can believe in.

My beef with organized religion has less to do with religion and almost everything to do with the people who organize it. So many times the individuals who tout themselves as "good Christians" aren't. They talk a good talk, put together a good facade, but they don't walk the walk. Yet they'll happily help you with every sin and shortcoming you've got.

It's frustrating because I want my children to grow up with a strong faith but finding a church that's not going to condemn my beliefs (pro-choice, legalization of gay unions, etc.) that will also foster my kids sense that something exists that's bigger than them.

So, until I find that place, Hueyism is looking pretty darn good.