Thursday, February 22, 2007

Little mean girls

Today I took JP and SG to the mall for shoes. They behaved so well I not only took them for overpriced hot dogs at Nordstrom's Cafe and let them have lollipops, I was also manipulated into schlepping to the Rainforest Cafe to look through their store.

On the way there JP (who, at age 4, is roughly the size of a first grader) very happily showed his heart shaped lolly, smiled and waved to a trio of 7- or 8-year old girls walking hand in hand towards Build-a-Bear. The middle girl looked contemptuously at him and muttered, "Stupid."

She was horrified to discover that JP hadn't heard her but I did. I stopped, and said, "Excuse me?" The trio stopped. The middle girl looked terrified. I again said, "Excuse me?" The middle girl who had so much to say just moments before scurried away, still holding her friends' hands.

I wanted to pinch her, slap her- to be just as mean as she was. JP was oblivious (thankfully) but I wanted to pound that tiny little witch into the ground.

The mother (of which girl I'm not sure) was walking about 10-feet ahead of the pack, on a cell phone and completely unaware that anything had transpired. I thought about following them into Build-a-Bear and letting the woman know how hateful the child had been. I didn't because I thought it better for JP. Why make an issue out of something he didn't even know happened? In retrospect I wish I would've. Obviously she needed a lesson in kindness.