Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Huh? moments

I don't do well in the morning. For starters, my bed is ridiculously cozy and comfortable so getting motivated to get out of it doesn't come easy. Second, it's flipping cold. Third, my room is quiet, my children are not. Finally, I'm just not a morning person. Mr. Tonks is the go-to-guy when it comes to getting up with JP- usually when it's still dark outside.

This morning was no different. Mr. Tonks woke me up and I lay there, refusing to get out of bed. He turned on the light, got the ironing board out and turned the TV on. I lay there, refusing to get out of bed. I was vaguely aware of the news but still in la-la-land and still refusing to get out of bed.

I eventually hauled myself into the living room and plopped on the couch and watched the DVD* du jour with JP and SG but something was bugging me about a story I thought I heard on TV.

As my head cleared I really began to wonder if I was going crazy.

Me: Was there something on the news this morning about an astronaut being arrested?

Mr. Tonks: Yeah.

Me: Arrested for attempted kidnapping and murder?

Mr. Tonks: Yeah.

(long pause)

Me: Was there something said about her wearing a diaper so she wouldn't have to pull over?

Mr. Tonks (laughing): Yes.

Me: Really? Why would you do that?

Mr. Tonks: She's an astronaut. She's probably used to it.

Me: What? Astronauts don't use diapers. They pee in a hose.

Mr. Tonks: What do you think they do on spacewalks?

Me: Hold it. Go before the spacewalk. They don't go in diapers.

Now the debate rages: do astronauts use diapers in space?


*We don't have cable or satellite. We have good ol' rabbit ears sitting on our TV. The theory is that we'll watch less TV and, more importantly, so will the kids. We'll also save money. In the last few weeks, though, this has not been the case. The baby is turning into a complete couch potato and I've probably spent more on DVD's in the last two weeks than it would've cost to have cable with every available premium channel.