Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What I'm doing now

Today I am home sick. I ventured out of my room (where I've miserably been watching movies all day) to play a little on the computer.

Now, instead of writing a post about what it's like for Mr. Tonks to play Mr. Mom, I'm writing a post about my friend, Dan.

Dan is stationed at Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan. The same place where some Taliban member tried to blow up (or so they say) VP Cheney.

The terrorist failed. Instead he killed at least one US solider, a South Korean soldier, an American contractor and wounded others.

I don't know if my friend is still alive or not. I have searched every conceivable article on the incident, watched every video trying to catch a glimpse of his face. The base is huge, the probability of seeing Dan on tape is minuscule but not knowing if he is dead or alive is enough to make me insane.

The war in Afghanistan is what the Bush administration should have concentrated its efforts on. Instead, he (Bush) lead us into a false war in Iraq and, to this day, I'm still not sure why the hell we ever started shit over there. I can't help but wonder if Bush would've finished the war he started, instead of the war Daddy Bush started, maybe, perhaps, the war on terror would be more successful.

I'm so angry right now. I'm angry that our army is spread so thin that men and women are having to go back and for two and three tours of duty. I'm angry that the war in Iraq ever happened. I'm angry that Bagram security allowed a suicide bomber inside the base. I'm angry that there is a possibility that Cheney- a foul, horrible, evil man- is still alive, while my friend- a sweet, kind, intelligent, loving man- might be dead. Even if Dan did survive, someone's friend, husband or wife, son or daughter is gone. Perhaps I should blame the Taliban (and I do) but, mostly, I blame Bush and Cheney for so royally fucking up and playing Russian Roulette with other peoples' lives.